Rich Assessment Task: WALT: Use appropriate scales, devices, and metric units for length, area, volume and capacity, weight
Measuring is about making a comparison between what is being measured and a suitable measurement unit. Central to the development of measuring skills is lots of practical measuring experience. Also important is the reality that measurement is never exact.
Required Resource Materials:
- Measuring equipment including; rulers, scales, measuring jugs.
Activity: Complete the questions below:
- How can you measure an orange? (there will be multiple answers for this, list as many as you can think of). Think of the attributes of an orange eg juice.
You can measure an orange with:
- Tape measure
- Ruler (for the heights)
- Measuring jug for the juice
2. Choose two of these attributes of an orange to measure and carry out the task. Write up a proposal for your investigation, including details on:
- Attribute being measured
- Equipment required
- Method (step by step)
- How will you present your results?
- Write up your results
The two attributes we choose were the skin and the juice.