This term we have been learning all about the Marae. We have learned that…….
- The Marae is an important focal point for the community.
- The Marea is a place where tradition and customs can be carried out.
- The Marae is a place where people can express their values with dignity.
- There are many kawa ( protocols) that prevail on the marae.
- Marae kawa (protocols) can differ between maraes and iwi.
We have focused on some key concepts when doing this learning.
These are listed and explained in the table below.
give the meaning of these concepts in your own words.
The way the do things like their custom.
The people who have ancestors on the Marae, locals people.
Visitors on the Marae.
Your rights on the Marae , your belongings.
Your relationship with people or family.
Care and respect for elders and wishing well being for people.
Means love, kindness, respect and concern for others.
See this video for an explanation of the roles and responsibilities of people on a marae.
Something I would like to learn more about the marae is How it feels to be a Tangata whenua or manuhiri.